Machinists Union’s Veterans Services Coordinator Richard Evans runs the IAM’s Veteran’s Services Program, helping members who are U.S. military veterans understand and apply for benefits they’ve earned after serving.
Since Evans’ appointment as Coordinator, starting April 1, 2022, the program has already
- Won back-pay for veterans totaling more than $300,000
- Gotten 38 veterans’ claims confirmed
- Improved the disability status of eight veterans to 100% permanent and total
- Helped two veterans who were deemed homeless
- Attended and won at the Board of Veterans Appeals and identified 15 discrepancies through the Higher-Level Review process
- Found two ‘Clear and Unmistakable Errors’ (CUE) on already-confirmed veterans’ claims (resulting in five-year retroactive benefits being awarded for a total of 50% and over $25,000 in back pay).
The 38 veterans helped have a combined 23 spouses and 42 children who will also benefit from this aid. Currently, the program is working on 74 active claims and hopes to have more wins as more veteran members learn about this resource.
Not only does the Veteran’s Services Program help veterans correctly apply for VA benefits and compensation, but it also offers aid in education, employment, home loans, life insurance, pension, health care, and burial benefits.
The mission of the IAM Veterans Services Program is to make sure veteran members and their families are taken care of and supported. To find out more about IAM’s Veteran’s Services, visit our website at iam4.me/VeteranServices.
The post Newly-Launched IAM Veterans Services Program Proves Huge Success in Helping Members Obtain Earned VA Benefits appeared first on IAMAW .