Local S6 Leadership Connection
Proudly Serving Our Members
June 5, 2020
A Strike would take effect at 12:01 am on June 22nd.
- Call your mortgage companies and creditors to make arrangements ahead of time.
- Talk with your healthcare providers to get your full allotment of medications prior to a strike.
- Medical- Once on strike, you will only have medical coverage until June 30th. Cobra insurance is available.
- Dental- Once on strike, coverage ends June 30th, Cobra insurance is available and has 2% higher premiums than your existing coverage. You will receive a mailer if you are enrolled in the plan.
- NO Checks / NO Pay Check withholdings- e. MetLife, 401k loans, child support you will need to make arrangements on anything you have coming out.
- For more information on your 401K, please call GD # 1-888-432-3633.
- Workers comp if you are collecting you are all set, NO new claims during a strike.
- A&S if you are collecting you are all set, NO new claims during a strike.
- Vacation usage– You cannot use vacation during a strike.
- Unemployment benefits don’t apply to workers on strike. Check your local career centers for employment options/ We will also have a list of potential jobs posted at the hall while we are on strike.
- Union Plus– members cardholders have $300 of strike mortgage assistance and can delay payments after 90 days for 2 months.
- 211 / United Way of Maine has a host of available social services for members in need.
- For additional clarification on any of the above, you can reach out to benefits at 207-442-3951.
June 21st, 2020, is the last day to use your (1) one floating for this year before our current contract ends.
Wednesday is solidarity day. Please wear your yellow Union shirt. We still have some available at the Union Hall. We will also be showing our support for the Negotiating Committee again, starting at 6 am, lining the sidewalk alongside the Union Hall all the way to the South Gate. We ask that you exercise social distancing and check in with the Steward at your site. There will be a limit of 50 people at each site due to COVID-19. Remember to wear your masks and practice appropriate distancing.
WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED, WE WILL NOT GIVE UP THE FIGHT, LET’S STAND UNITED AND SEND THE MESSAGE TO GDBIW- FAIR CONTRACT NOW!!!
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT THE CONTRACT RATIFICATION VOTE
You will have TWO VOTES:
- One ballot will be to accept or reject the contract.
- The second ballot will be to Strike.
Should the majority; 50% +1, of members voting, vote YES to ACCEPT THE CONTRACT, the contract passes, and the strike ballots aren’t counted.
Should the majority; 50% +1, of members voting, vote NO to REJECT THE CONTRACT, the strike ballots are counted and a 2/3 MAJORITY IS NEEDED TO STRIKE. FAILURE TO MEET THE 2/3 MAJORITY WILL RESULT IN ACCEPTANCE OF THE CONTRACT.
EXAMPLE: If 70% vote NO; REJECT THE CONTRACT, but ONLY 60% vote YES to Strike, the contract is still accepted even though the majority didn’t vote to accept it BECAUSE A 2/3 MAJORITY IS NEEDED TO STRIKE.
Voting will be by phone or online through ballotpoint.
Polls open 12:01 am Friday 6/19/2020.
Polls close at noon on Sunday, 6/21/2020.
VOTING INSTRUCTIONS ARE BEING MAILED.