LEADERSHIP ALERT: STRIKE SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT
Local S6 and BIW have come to a Strike Settlement Agreement.
• The Strike Settlement Agreement is a separate agreement from the contract proposal and is not voted on.
• This agreement explains the terms and conditions on how the membership returns to work should the membership ratify the proposed contract.
• We have provided the document in its entirety at the end of this post but would like to give a more detailed explanation of the three (3) most often asked questions.
1. Employees will be assigned to return to work starting Monday, August 24th, 2020.
a. Employees normally assigned to 3rd shift will return on their normal shift: Sunday, August 23rd, 2020.
b. Employees may elect to return:
i. Monday, August 31st, 2020 OR Tuesday, September 8th, 2020.
ii. YOU MUST CALL THE CALL-IN CENTER ON OR BEFORE AUGUST 24TH TO DECLARE YOUR START DATE IF YOU CHOOSE TO RETURN ON MONDAY, AUGUST 31ST, 2020 OR TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH, 2020.
iii. IF NOT, YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO DISCIPLINE.
Example: You work for another business and need to give notice to your employer and are planning on returning on Monday, August 31st . You would need to call the call-in center on or before Monday, August 24th to declare your intention of returning the following Monday (August 31st). The same would apply if you were to return Tuesday, September 8th.
2. Vacation accrual for the month of August 2020.
a. BIW has agreed to credit 40 of the 80-hours needed to accrue vacation time for the month of August.
b. Employees must either work or use an appropriate absence code the last full week of August to accrue the 80 hours needed.
3. Insurance will be activated when you return to work on August 24th.
a. Should a member use a PB, vacation day, or FMLA on Monday, August 24th, that will count towards activating your benefits.
b. Should a member declare to BIW through the call-in center on or by August 24th that they will be returning on August 31st or September 8th then whichever of the two they return to work on would be the activation date of your benefits.
For those who noticed missing Holidays in 2023:
– Memorial Day and Independence Day 2023 have been added.
– This was an oversite prior to printing the contract proposal.
Local S6 Negotiating Committee